Powered By Blogger

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

 Consider what I take to be Malcolm's definition of a self-contradic-tory expression, namely "an expression which would never be used to describe any situation" (he does not actually say that this is a complete definition of "self-contradictory expression," but equally he does not say that it is not, and I strongly suspect that he intends it as such, as indeed his manner of expression suggests). Is it really satisfactory as it stands? Take the expression "I'm not copperbottoming

'em, ma'am, I'm aluminiuming 'em, ma'am." 1 doubt very much if this expression would ever be used to describe any situation; it is too difficult to enunciate, and certainly no one would think of using it as a written symbol with a descriptive use (l of course am not using it descriptively).

No comments:

Post a Comment