The Pequot Yacht Club came to be through the efforts of Frederick Bedford, in addition to
Harold Lloyd, Johannes Schiott and Lawrence Craufurd.
The first meeting of
Pequot Yacht Club was held in the Greens Farms home of Frederick Bedford on October
These Founding Fathers, in addition to a group of five or six
interested sailors, agreed to form a yacht club for the purpose of reviving and
promoting competitive sailing.
In November 1920, a constitution and by-laws were
drafted and ratified.
Subsequently, the Pequot yacht club, consisting of 33 members, elected
Although the initial meeting took place
in Greens Farms, the history of the Pequot Yacht Club is
unquestionably rooted in the history of nearby Mill River on "South Port" (settled 1639) which had been
deepened in 1916
The Pequot yacht club’s first
officers were authorized in November 1920 to negotiate the lease for a
building on the Mill River in South Port.
In April 1921, at the Pequot club’s next recorded meeting, the character of
the club’s early years was established.
The racing calendar was the primary
The Pequot yacht club’s first racing fleet consisted of
-- four “R” boats (35 ft.
-- five “K” boats, and
-- one Star.
Over the years, the Pequot yacht lub has remained
as much as its founders envisioned: an organization devoted simply to
By 1925 the original club house was becoming overcrowded, and by
September 1926, a four-story warehouse building was converted into a two-story club house.
The Atlantic class came to
the Club in the fall of 1928 when a demonstration boat handily beat its Star
Twenty Atlantics were ordered immediately.
In 1929 the Pequot yacht lub ran
the first Atlantic Class championship.
The Great Depression had a negative
impact on the yacht club’s financial health.
Although the Second World
War made yachting a matter of secondary importance on the Mill River in South Port, the Club's
Atlantics continued the tradition of vigorous participation in class racing.
1949, Atlantic sailors from the Pequot yacht club had won the national championships for eight
of the decade's years.
During the fifties and sixties, the sailing auxiliary
slowly became the dominant boat at the Peequot yacht lub despite the continued vitality of
The auxiliaries were raced in various Pequot yacht club events, and also made
their mark in events held outside of the Mill River in South Port.
Of particular note was Brigg
Cunningham’s victory in the 1958 America’s Cup with Columbia.
seventies, the Pequot yacht club’s priorities were still to be sail
boat racing with the seventies witnessing the consolidation of the cruising
fleet as the pre-eminent Club fleet.
Activities were to be few, but well
executed, supported by a small staff and a modest budget.
After 50 years, the Pequot yacht club’s purpose had remained the same as it had been when it began in
Membership issues, and an accompanying sense of the Pequot yacht club bursting at
its seams, occupied the Board of Governors for much of the eighties.
The dominant racing scene at the Pequot yacht club during the eighties
continued to be the cruising fleet, but One-Design racing remained alive with a
new fleet of Thistles, a class that had been absent from the club since
By 1990, participation in cruising fleet racing was declining
precipitously, but this was countered by a resurgence of popularity of
One-Design sailing in Thistles.
At the same time, recognizing the need to make
sailing attractive to a membership pressed by time and family commitments, a
search was begun to find a new One-Design class for the sailing program at
The search eventually led to the Ideal 18.
The success of PYC’s Ideal
18 program was recognized in 1993 by US Sailing, which noted the program's
contribution to One-Design racing on Long Island Sound.
The Pequot yacht club continues to
produce many entries in many sailing events in the region and around the world.