View from the park site (2006)
|Location||Downtown Orlando, Florida|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||23 acres (9.3 ha)|
|Average depth||11 feet 5 inches (3.48 m)|
|Max. depth||23 feet 8 inches (7.21 m)|
|Water volume||103,802,700 US gallons (392,936,000 l; 86,433,800 imp gal)|
|Shore length1||4,493 feet (1,369 m)|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Lake Eola is the main feature of the park.
Also located in the park (on the west side) is the Walt Disney amphitheatre, which hosts many community events and various performances year round.
On the east side of the park is a Chinese pagoda, a Confederate States of America monument, and a playground.
The park is surrounded by four streets: East Robinson Street (State Road 526), Rosalind Avenue (SR 527), East Central Boulevard, and North Eola Drive.
The sinkhole is approximately 23 feet, 8 inches deep and is located 100 feet east of the fountain.
The fountain changes colors at night like a light show.
The lake is 1,369 m in circumference and 23 acres (93,000 m2) large. A 0.85-mile (1.37 km) multi-use sidewalk surrounds the water.
In 1883, wealthy Orlando resident Jacob Summerlin—owner of theSummerlin Hotel, the first City Council president, and financial lender for the construction of Orlando's courthouse in the 1870s—donated a large tract of land to establish a park in Orlando.
In 1883, Summerlin came to a city council meeting and offered the land around the lake on the condition that was beautified and turned into a park.
He also required that the city plant trees and put a "driveway" around the lake.
To ensure that the city followed through with the stipulations of the donation, Summerlin put reverter clauses in the contract to allow his heirs to reclaim the property if the city failed in its obligations.
Several years later, his sons threatened to exercise the reverter clause if the city did not make good on its promise.
Today, the park is still maintained according to his requirement that it be kept beautiful.
The park was informally established in 1888 using the first parcel of land.
It was the first of many that were donated to the City of Orlando by several families.
Summerlin named it Lake "Eola", after a lady he knew.
The area was officially declared as a park in 1892.
The park area has been home to a zoo; a horse race track; tennis courts; a pier with a dance area; and the broadcast site of a local radio station.
The fountain was installed in 1912 at a cost of $10,000.
A replacement, originally dubbed the "Centennial Fountain," was installed in 1957 at a cost of $350,000.
The actual name of the fountain is the "Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain".
The iconic water feature is the unofficial symbol of Orlando.
Lake Eola Park was expanded in 1993 with the closure of Washington Street, which ran between Lee's Lake Side restaurant and the park.
With the expansion, the restaurant and Post Park Side Apartments were now located in the park.
The International Food Court was also created at this time.
In late August 2009, lightning struck the fountain, rendering it inoperable.
The city has a $1 million insurance policyon the fountain, with a $500,000 deductible.
Because of the city's then-current budget crisis, the fate of the fountain was unknown.
On October 15, 2009, Mayor Buddy Dyer announced that the city would not only repair the fountain, but "also replace its cracked plastic skin and install a state-of-the-art system of lights and water jets" at a cost of $2.3 million.
The fountain was rededicated and resumed operation on July 4, 2011.
In July 2013 the park expanded to the Southeast to include East Washington Street.
The expansion added an extra 1.36 acres of lawn, new LED lighting, widened sidewalks, nearly 4,000 square feet of paved patio and an additional 7,500 square feet of brick paved space on East Washington Street.
In September 2013 the City opened Eola House at 12 East Washington Street.
The house sits on the expanded part of the park and serves as a welcome center, gift shop and park offices for the Lake Eola Park.
- Spin City Classic (March): sanctioned professional and amateur bicycle racing on the streets around the park.
- Fireworks Over the Fountain (July 4th): celebration, entertainment, and food. Starts at 4 p.m. with fireworks at dark.
- Fiesta in the Park (First full weekend in November, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.): a 600-booth arts and crafts show with entertainment and food.
- Lake Eola Park Events are posted monthly on the Walt Disney Amphitheater at Lake Eola billboard on the northwest corner of the park. Additional event and park info is located here.
- Orlando Farmers Market: Every Sunday from 10am-4:00pm.
- T'ai chi & Kung Fu Classes: Monday, Wednesday, & Saturday evenings, Spring & Autumn Martial Arts offers donation-based Wudang Mountains style T'ai chi ch'uan, Qigong, & Kung Fu training at Lake Eola Park.
- Donation-based, all level yoga: Sundays at 11:00am located at either the NE or NW lawn. Location and other information updated weekly on the Facebook page 
- "Orlando Attractions". The New York Times.
- Dickinson, Joy Wallace (2003). Orlando : city of dreams. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub. pp. 29–30. ISBN 0-7385-2442-5.
- Powers, Scott (July 5, 2011). "July Fourth fireworks show caps Lake Eola fountain rededication". Orlando Sentinel.
- A Look Inside the Eola House at Lake Eola Park http://bungalower.com/2013/09/an-look-inside-the-eola-house-at-lake-eola-park/
- Spring & Autumn Martial Arts website, http://springandautumn.com/Spring_%26_Autumn_Martial_Arts/Classes.html
- Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS) No. FL-7, "Lake Eola Park, 195 North Rosalind Avenue, Orlando, Orange County, FL", 3 data pages