Powered By Blogger

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

HAMILTONIANA ROMANA: Masculinity -- Bruto -- the trio

Speranza

"In contrast to this poignant group of death and lamentation, the trio of figures at the right - Bruto, Lucrezio's father Lucrezio, and Valerio - is charged with a virile unity of moral purpose that is physically expressed by the tautness of outstretched arms and legs and by the assertive upward thrust of the blood-stained dagger."
 
It is Bruto who speaks:

"By this blood, most chaste until a prince wronged it,
 I swear,
and I take you, gods,
to witness, that I will pursue Lucio
Tarquinio Superbo and his wicked wife and children, with
sword, with fire, aye with whatsoever violence I may; and that
I will suffer neither them nor any other to be king in Rome."

No comments:

Post a Comment