Powered By Blogger

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, October 18, 2013

Porteriana

Speranza

In MEXICAN HAY RIDE, "I love you" follows the pattern of "Do I love you?".

But it's KISS ME, KATE which is alleged to be Porter's masterpiece.

"So in love" is another melody in Porter's soft beguine tempo.

There's the PADUA song:

were she as rough
as are the swelling adriatic seas
I come to wive it wealthily in Padua
if wealthily then happily in Padua

In OUT OF THIS WORLD, "I am loved", the ever-present beguine.

"I Jupiter I rex" -- breck eck o weck o wex -- brought the spirit of the Yale cheering section to Mount Olympus.

From Can Can, "I am in love" is constructed from the "Do I love you? I love you -- So in love -- I am loved" matrix.

After almost thirty years of physical suffering, Porter died on October 15, 1964, in Santa Monica, California.

He succumbed at the age of 73 following surgery for a kidney stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment