Powered By Blogger

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, May 20, 2012

and they can't hear me sound the rally -- 1904

Speranza 1904 Trumpeter, what are you sounding now? (Is it the call I'm seeking?) "You'll know the call," said the Trumpeter tall, "When my trumpet goes a-speakin'. I'm rousin' 'em up; I'm wakin' 'em up, The tents are astir in the valley, And there's no more sleep with the sun's first peep, For I'm soundin' the old 'Reveille!'" Trumpeter, what are you sounding now? (Is it the call I'm seeking?) "Can't mistake the call," said the Trumpeter tall, "When my trumpet goes a-speakin'. I'm urgin' 'em on, They're scamperin' on, There's a drummin' of hoofs like thunder. There's a madd'nin' shout as the sabres flash out, For I'm sounding the 'Charge' no wonder." Trumpeter, what are you sounding now? (Is it the call I'm seeking?) "Lucky for you if you hear it at all For my trumpet's but faint in speakin', I'm callin' 'em home! Come home! Come home! Tread light o'er the dead in the valley, Who are lyin' around face down to the ground, And they can't hear me sound the 'Rally'. But they'll hear it again in a grand refrain, When Gabriel sounds the last 'Rally'." Dix – Barron.

No comments:

Post a Comment