Powered By Blogger

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, May 20, 2012

'twas on her finger then I placed a small engagement ring -- 1886

Speranza 1886 sweet Rosie O' Grady, my dear little Rose. she's my steady lady, most ev 'ryone knows; and when we are married, how happy we'll be; I love Sweet Rosie O' Grady and Rosie O' Grady loves me. down around the corner of the street where I reside, there lives the cutest little girl that I have ever spied. her name is Rose O' Grady and I don't mind telling you that she's the sweetest little rose this garden ever grew I never shall forget the day she promised to be mine as we sat telling love-tales in the golden summertime 'twas on her finger then I placed a small engagement ring while in the trees, the little birds, this song they seemed to sing. Written by Wiliam Jerome (1865-1932). Indeed, although it is hard to believe, several publishers refused to publish this (now famous) ballad. It was only through the performances of Jerome's wife, Maude Nugent, that the ballad became a "hit", and finally published only in 1896.

No comments:

Post a Comment