Powered By Blogger

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, May 20, 2012

and there's a verse too -- 1926 "the opposite of "House of the Rising Sun".

Speranza 1926 pack up all my cares and woes, here i go, singing low, bye, bye, blackbird. where somebody waits for me, sugar is sweet, so is she, bye, bye, blackbird. no one here can love and understand me, o what hard luck stories they all hand me. make my bed and light the light, I'll arrive late tonight, blackbird, bye, bye. There is much speculation about the meaning of this sweet ballad. At least two commentators (using the same source) attribute the song to a prostitute's leaving the business and going home to her mother. As such, it is the opposite of "House of the Rising Sun," where the prostitute returns to the business. The reason for the song's apparent ambiguity is that the opening verse and the verses about the bluebird are, alas, rarely sung.

No comments:

Post a Comment