Powered By Blogger

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, May 20, 2012

lead me to my bed -- 1925 James Campbell-Reginald Connelly

Speranza 1925 Show me the way to go home I'm tired and I want to go to bed I had a little drink about an hour ago and it's gone straight up to my head where ever I may roam on land or sea or foam you will always hear me singing this song show me the way to go home Indicate the way to my abode I'm fatigued and I want to retire I had a spot of beverage sixty minutes ago And it went right to my cerebellum Wherever I may perambulate On land, or sea or atmospheric vapour You can always hear me crooning the melody Indicate the way to my abode Lead me to my bed I'm knackered and I want to get some kip I had a bit of booze about an hour ago And it went right to my cop Wherever I may stroll To the pub, or to the dole You will always hear me making this noise Lead me to my bed Folk song, adapted in 1925 by "Irving King" (the British songwriting team James Campbell and Reginald Connelly) written on a railroad train journey from London to somewhere. They were tired from the traveling and had a few alcoholic drinks during the journey, hence the lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment