Powered By Blogger

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Welcome to Villa Speranza.

Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, May 20, 2012

when we meet the preacher -- 1925 -- Marjorie's little tune

Speranza 1925 yes sir, that's my baby no sir, I don't mean maybe yes sir, that's my baby now yes, ma'm, we've decided no ma'm, we won't hide it yes, ma'm, you're invited now by the way, by the way when we meet the preacher I'll say yes sir, that's my baby no sir, I don't mean maybe yes sir, that's my baby now The song, "Yes, sir; that's my baby" was written when Donaldson & Kahn were visiting Eddie Cantor. As a matter of fact, Cantor's daughter Marjorie brought out one of her favorite toys, a walking mechanical pig, which she called "Pig". She wound "Pig" up and it ("Pig") started walking in rhythm while 2 notes kept coming from the little creature ("Pig"). Kahn was inspired and started working lyrics to these notes in rhythm with "Pig", coming up with the title and opening line of the chorus in short order.

No comments:

Post a Comment